Tuesday, December 4, 2012

How to Write a Chess Blog Post

Writing a worthwhile chess blog post is time consuming. My goal is to make this easier for myself and others technology wise. I find that the available tools for showcasing games on a blog are a bit cumbersome and on occasion completely stop working. Just in the last day the pgn4web site stopped functioning. There has got to be a better way to
1. Upload complete games
2. Upload diagrams
This blog post is my scratch pad for solutions. If nothing fits the bill I pledge to fill the void with free and easy to use tools. No red tape.
Current methods:
To get the FEN string for a position from a complete game I tend to use quite handy Game Editor feature on chess.com to set up the board. I find that the diagrams I can get links to from chess.com do not fit well into a blogger blog. Instead I take that FEN string and run it through chess.tv's FEN tool which I find to be a better solution. If you think that's cumbersome you don't know the half of it.
I think there are enough chess bloggers out there to justify a direct blogger widget for this purpose. I don't currently have the skills to make that happen but I am planning on making a go in my spare time.
Please drop me a line if you already know a better way to do this. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment