Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Beyond 2000

Happy New Year everyone. My chess goal for 2012 was to reach 2000 and I did just barely achieve that by obtaining a respectable result in the U2200 section at the Empire City Open.
I cannot say I have a rating goal for 2013. As I told FM Nathan Resika I'm going to take a bit of time off from competitive chess and enjoy being a 2000 player for a bit before considering making an active push to obtain a master rating. I do not see myself playing in as many tournaments this year although I certainly hope to play in at least 2 major events for the year.
My chess goal for the year is more social. I feel strongly that chess is a solution to violence by youth in America and I second all the key points of Jim West's open letter to the VP. I want to become more involved in a volunteer capacity with promoting chess. I hope to obtain a tournament director certification and perhaps even run a tournament or two this year. Numerically, my goal is to teach chess to 5 people who currently do not play chess.
This is not to say that I will not be working on my game. I want to improve my endgame technique in 2013 and become better with tactical play.
This is a nice rook ending I found:

In addition to studying exchange sacrifices I hope to look into more rook endings such as the above. Good luck to everyone with their chess goals for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment